I am lucky enough to be situated in Toronto, which I believe has some of the best urban fishing opportunities to be found absolutely anywhere. My annual fishing calendar runs a bit like this….
- Ice out at the end of February / start of March and the pre-spawn Pike are in the bays of Tommy Thompson Park, the Harbour front and Toronto island lagoons.
- May / June, the waters warm up and bring the big Carp into the Harbour bays and Toronto Islands ponds and channels.
- End of June opens the bass season!
- Summer brings the Panfish, Perch, Crappie and predator fish right into the Islands, Ontario Place, Ashbridges Bay, and under the boats and docks of the Marinas.
- End of September the salmon runs start hitting the river mouths and streams across Toronto.
- November through to ice up in December, Steelheads and Brown are in the local rivers.
- January / February – Ice fishing on Frenchmens Bay just east of the city.
As we move through the fishing season, I’ll be posting articles and reports on urban fishing around the Toronto area.